[Soc-2005-dev] FFMpeg and binary sizes

Ian Gowen ian.gowen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 00:40:43 CEST 2005

Ton was concerned about binary distribution sizes when statically linking
Blender to FFMpeg. I did a test compile where I statically linked ffmpeg and
the blender executable, tar'd and bzip'd, was 4.1MB. I'm not sure how much
the game engine adds to that size as I compiled without it, but lukep tells me
that on OSX it's about 2.5MB more, uncompressed-- definitely an acceptable
amount IMO.

With Alexander I recommend including a cvs snapshot of ffmpeg in extern/,
since the API changes so quickly. We'd have no end of compatability issues if
we dynamically linked.

cheers
--Ian