[Sig2006] Public announcement

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Jun 6 19:41:23 CEST 2006

Hi,

> I think that we have some interesting things to show off on the desktop
> - Xgl, Xcomposite, Cairo... the GNOME guys have been steadily adding
> some very cool graphical bells & whistles. There will be people there
> present the GIMP, of course, but I definitely want to have GNOME
> represented too.

Sounds excellent!

> I hope there was no misunderstanding - from the beginning, we were
> discussing the GNOME Foundation (and thus GNOME) being on the stand.

Yep, just didn't know what more you liked to show.

> Which makes more sense, given that GNOME has way more money than the
> GIMP at the moment.

On last year's Siggraph, the Open Source Panel discussion, there was
quite some complaining about GIMP... it suffers a bit from a
non-professional image.
In our Orange studio, all artists were perfectly happy with it (the
tablet detail aside :). I think it would help very well if you can find
a very talented GIMP user, an experienced illustrator or painter or so,
to showcase on the large screen the usablity of the software.
Seeing is really believing. :)

Are you going to post something online too? I also think it's very good
to get the GIMP community actively involved, they should be really
proud of the current tool. Might help providing free tickets for them.

I also look forward to meet with core devs of GIMP too. Siggraph can be
very inspiring!

(Also I'd like to find ways to inspire the gimp developers to move on
too, on Siggraph they can see very good innovative painting tools. It's
time for gimp to move on to new generation I think... )

-Ton-