[Robotics] Get vertex number, layer and vertex normal from 3ds model

Srimal Jayawardena srimalj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:28:55 CEST 2009

Hi

I'm quite new to blender and this may be quite elementary but I couldn't
find a solution from the
tutorials in blender.org.

I need to know the following information of a selected vertex.
- vertex normal vector (x,y,z components)
- the vertex number and layer (ex. if it is a 3ds file)

How do I extract the vertex number and its layer from a 3ds model (or any
model for that matter)?

So far the coordinates of a vertex could be obtained by right clicking the
desired vertex in 'edit mode' (tab)
and looking at transform properties (pressing n) but it does not show the
surface normal unit vector coordinates.

How do I get the unit normal vector of a vertex ?

Alternatively if I could identify the vertex number (and layer) of a given
vertex I could find the normal vector using
matlab but I guess blender should have a easy way of showing these
properties of a vertex?

Many thanks in advance

Srimal.

--