[Bf-webcontent] Runs out of box?

Nkansah Rexford nkansahrexford at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:00:03 CET 2013

OK Brecht,

For me, Ubuntu 12.04, through to 13.10, running chmod +x to run blender is
necessary. ( I don't clearly remember doing that for 13.10, but I might
have done that involuntary as I know that's how it is )

I extract using the default archive manager that comes with Ubuntu.

A typical example for a a software that running that command is necessary
is sublime extracted from the tar.gz.

In fact, without entering that command, nothing shows. It just doesn't run
and there pops up no dialog to inform whatever. Thus, it really can be
confusing as to what is going on.

As you say, if it can be fixed from the programming level, then I think
that'll be nice. However, I find similar behaviour with other softwares not
because the software isn't written with something, but because on the end
user, a certain permission must be achieved to execute something.

I'm wondering how that can be solved from the programming perspective.

plus.google.com/+Nkansahrexford