[Bf-webcontent] Re-activating list

Peter Carrero peter.carrero at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:13:17 CEST 2011

Hey, Luca,

Do you mean to have an automated redirect with regex or a manual
1-to-1 cross-reference between the 2 sites?

It seems there are 544 links that would need to be redirected on the
d.b.o/documentation/html page, 1259 on the /htmlI page and 192 on the
/htmlII page. Also, there seems to be no parity between the names of
the pages - for instance, the link to the materials is

d.b,o -> http://download.blender.org/documentation/html/c3312.html

w.b.o -> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Materials

so an automated redirect of

d.b.o/documentation/html/Foo  -- (301) -->  w.b.o/index.php/Doc:Foo

would make an invalid url of

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:c3312.html

If we do google searches for blender and texture, materials, rigging,
etc, the wiki links seems to consistently show up higher than that the
d.b.o links (and sometimes the d.b.o links don't even show).

Sometimes when revamping websites whose structure changed considerably
between redesigns, what we do is a blanket redirect. So, how about a
redirect from

http://download.blender.org/documentation/.*

to the root of the documentation on the wiki site? (http://wiki.blender.org/)

It seems that d.b.o uses lighthttpd, so I guess that could be done by
sticking the following inside the d.b.o host definition in lighthttpd:

url.redirect = ( "^/documentation/.*$" => "http://wiki.blender.org/")

Thoughts?

--
Peter Carrero