[Bf-webcontent] Re-activating list

mindrones mindrones at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:28:26 CEST 2011

Hi all,

> Ton Roosendaal wrote:
>
> For blender.org web pages, this ownership should need to be re-
> established. But from my memory I think it's like this now:

[snip]

> Download
> - Ton, Nathan Letwory, Thomas Dinges

as explained in [1], I'd love to tackle the documentation part at
http://download.blender.org/documentation/.

As said there I'd like to set proper *permanent* redirects b.org ->
wiki on [2] and [3] (and subpages).

To explain, I think this will greatly help to increase the ranking of
wiki pages.
Let's make an abstract example (d.b.o = download.blender.org,
w.b.o=wiki.blender.org).

If we search for "blender documentation foo" we will probably find:

d.b.o/documentation/htmlI/Foo
and
w.b.o/index.php/Doc:Foo

These two pages are then competing for the best ranking and this is a
waste, considering that d.b.o/documentation/htmlI/Foo is obsolete.

So I'd place a permanent redirect (301 redirect) like:

d.b.o/documentation/html/Foo  -- (301) -->  w.b.o/index.php/Doc:Foo

This will let search engines know that d.b.o/documentation/html/Foo is
no more and the correspondant page from now on and forever will be
w.b.o/index.php/Doc:Foo, so that w.b.o/index.php/Doc:Foo would pop up
in the search results.

This would be crucial for the SEO we're trying to do on the wiki.

Regards,
Luca

[1] http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-docboard/2011-May/003696.html
[2] http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/