[Bf-webcontent] Re: Fwd: Blender.org website section email

Glen Moyes metsys at icubenetwork.com
Thu Jan 27 20:20:32 CET 2005

Oh yeah, this mirroring script is going to be nice. This is going to
make my job that much easier.

Not having BitTorrent shouldn't be a problem. I'm always getting emails
from people that want to host the files, however I have to turn most of
them down because they only have a few GB bandwidth a month (previous
experience shows that the least popular mirror needs at least 20GB
bandwidth a day just to host the files). So basically any mirror with
anything less than unlimited bandwidth has went down fast and hard. In
the future we are going to have far more video tutorials than we have
now. My concern is that even our best mirrors won't be able to handle
it. Making these available at the e-shop would help with the downloads.

Also, I have one mirror that wants to put a link to their hosting
company next to his. Because his hosting company understood that it was
for an open source project they cut him a break that really helped him
become on of our better mirrors. Putting a link there would make his
hosting even happier (considering how much of their bandwidth he's
using). Anyway, with this script is it possible to put a separate link
to the hosting company next to the mirror link? Or should the mirror
link just be "My Mirror (hosted by www.hosting-blah.com) (USA)"?

Also, does the URL to the mirror have to contain "release/filename" or
"videos/filename" or whatever directory name we decide use? Because
every mirror I have does it differently.

- Glen