[Bf-webcontent] Re: Fwd: Blender.org website section email

Bart Veldhuizen bart at vrotvrot.com
Thu Jan 27 07:58:09 CET 2005

The mirror system will be http (maybe ftp) based only, but it will be
smart enough to figure out on which server a certain file is available.
You can already see it in action here:

http://blender3d.org/mirror/release/Blender2.36/blender-2.36-windows.exe

Everything after /mirror/ is part of the filename to be mirrored. This
means that once we start using the mirror script, we only need to put
one download link in for each file.

The availability of files is cached, so it doesn't have to check the
mirrors for each request. Checking is still quite slow, mainly because
of the painfully slow ftp connection to umn.edu.

The fact that the script checks for itself which servers host a certain
file means that mirrors can decide for themselves which files they will
host or how much traffic/month they will allow. If they don't have a
file, or they temporarily close their connection, the link will simply
disappear.

We have decided to drop support for bittorrent files, at least for our
own files, because so many people have difficulty with them. For this
reason, I think we should move away from it all together IF we get
enough mirror sites that are willing to host large media files.

Cheers,

Bart

Op 27-jan-05 om 1:01 heeft Glen Moyes het volgende geschreven: