[Bf-viewport] Failled accurate soft shadow attempt

Clément FOUCAULT foucault.clem at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 15:39:11 CEST 2017

Hi guys,

As you may have noticed I had some trouble one week ago and did not
commited anything. This is because I was trying to get the most awesome
shadows out of shadow maps.

Foolish of me to think this had not been attempted before. I reckon having
lost a bit of time before doing research.

But long story short: There is no good, easy, fast solution for realistic
soft shadows. By this, I mean contact hardening soft shadows. Fixed size
penumbra shadows will be implemented (they already are).

A more complete explanation of what I tried can be found here:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Hypersomniac/Dev_reports/Soft_shadows_failure#Soft_Shadow_Map_Faillure

If someone is feeling more confident on this and want to take a shot at it,
please do and get in touch.

Clément