[Bf-viewport] Failled accurate soft shadow attempt

Felipe Botero boterock at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 18:32:33 CEST 2017

Hello,

I am no expert on the topic, but I know that in UE4 they use Distance
Fields for blurred shadows, this has the disadvantage that meshes' distance
fields need to be built, but it seems to solve the problem, and also allows
them to use the distance fields for AO.

Maybe having DF shadows disabled while in edit mode, but enabling them in
object mode maybe would work, and building the distance field in the
background if the mesh changed.

Also for skeletal meshes they also have smoothed shadows, but they don't
use mesh data but instead a PhysicsAsset data (which is basically the
capsules or other primitives used when simulating a ragdoll), maybe in
blender for those meshes the skeleton envelope could be used.

Thank you for your time, and keep up your fantastic work!

- Felipe Botero