[Bf-viewport] Unified Principled BSDF and Eevee PBR

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 02:32:48 CEST 2017

Hi,

Regarding the plans mentioned here:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/Viewport/Eevee#UI.2FUX_solution_for_multi-engine_material_outputs

My hope is that we can have a single uber shader node type for both Cycles
and Eevee, as well a single material output node for
surface/volume/displacement shaders. However from reading that page and
testing the blender2.8 branch it's not clear to me what the plan is.

Having a single node type would simplify material importers/exporters, as
well as simplify building higher level material/texture layering, texture
painting and baking tools. Unsupported properties and sockets could be
hidden depending on the renderer.

The current Principled BSDF and Eevee PBR nodes can be unified since they
have matching parameters. Cycles would hide the AO socket because it can't
use baked AO maps, and Eevee would hide a bunch of sockets it does not
support (yet). Future hair and volume uber shaders could also be unified I
think.

It is useful to be able to create different materials for Cycles and Eevee,
or simplified viewport materials for animators. But I think it's a
relatively minor change, maybe by adding more sockets to the material
output node, or by supporting multiple material output nodes with each
indicating the target renderer.

Thanks,
Brecht.