[Bf-viewport] Unified Principled BSDF and Eevee PBR

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:27:26 CEST 2017

Hi Brecht,

Before discussing your suggestion let me elaborate on the original
(partly uncommitted) plans:

1) Make the Metallic and Specular nodes shader nodes (as oppose to
output nodes as they are now). And connect them to material outputs.

2) Have an Eevee material output. So if a material has both a Cycles
material output and an Eevee one, it uses the Eevee, even if it's not
the "active" output node.

3) If a material has only Cycles material output (no Eevee), Eevee
uses a "fallback" glsl version of Cycles nodes. For the principled
shader the internal code will literally be the same as Eevee's. For
other nodes not so much.

4) Apart from the Metallic and Specular nodes, we may (time/dev power
allowing) get a Hair shader node in the future.

What you are proposing is a step further on that and literally use the
same Output node, and principled node. I will think about this, but my
initial impression is that we are better off keeping things separated.

Either way I wanted to make sure we are all on the same page as the
current design, before diving further in this discussion.

Cheers,
Dalai
--
blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto