[Bf-viewport] Temporal anti-aliasing for Eevee

Clément FOUCAULT foucault.clem at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 01:07:28 CEST 2017

Hello Corey,

Your contribution would be very helpful since I'm quite new to Temporal
Anti-Aliasing.
The AA listed in the planning is the TAA because I don't see how we could
implement anything else (except from Super Sampling) that works for shading
and other post processing (edge highlight).

My implementation idea was to have a Temporal Super Sampling (jittering the
camera matrix) and using an accumulation buffer to progressively refine the
whole viewport (so we are talking about the final frame all engines
composited). And this only if scene is static (nothing moves). I'm
restricting the context of application of this fullscreen TAA because we
can't rely on depth buffer information at this point of the pipeline.

But for Eevee, a nice Temporal reprojection should be used because the
depth buffer makes more sense in this context.

> 1. Would this contribution be welcome at this point?
I'm pretty positive we have everything you need for you to start working on
this. And I think there will be much conflict. So yeah get on board!

> 2. Are you sure you want to use TAA as it appears in UE4?
Again I'm not well aware of the key difference (I read both presentation
several times but still), Jimenez approach seems to leverage the power of
compute shader (not in GL 3.3) and it seems quite difficult to implement
without them. UE4 seems a bit simpler. Still we can reserve this
implementation to hardware that supports it.

I think we should have a basic technique like FXAA or something around
those line before trying TAA.

I'm hypersomniac on IRC if you want to get in touch!

Regards,
Clément