[Bf-viewport] Blender 2.8 direction

Carlo Andreacchio carlo at convergen.com.au
Mon Jul 31 00:59:00 CEST 2017

Hi All,

I have been in contact with Mike Erwin about where to post this and he
suggested sending it here.

Just to introduce myself, I am Carlo from Adelaide Australia, and we are
part of a Architecture / Infrastructure visualisation company. We have been
using blender for the past 8 years as our main CG application and have
supported the foundation in various ways over the years. We have around 10
artists who work for us who also all use blender.

We keep up to date with the Blender developments and Eevee looks great.
However, we are seeking some clarifications about the direction of the
program, as most of the discussions have happened behind closed doors.

Wireframe has always been a controversial topic around blender2.8. There
was development at the last blender conference shown (
https://youtu.be/MD7MU-UVG2U?t=625 ), however looking through the latest
builds no wireframe modes are to be seen. Is this mode still yet to be
combined, or is wireframe mode to be removed?

Cycles and its use is important to us, and testing out the builds over the
past few months has been interesting, as cycles is constantly rendering in
the background. I have seen the blog post about wires being drawn over the
top of the cycles render, however, on production scenes this is not
practical and having an option to turn it off will be important. Which
leads onto.....

What is the direction for Cycles viewport? Is the aim to replace it with
Eevee, and have Eevee as the standard viewport across all renderers? or
will Cycles viewport be independent to this? How will performance be of
Eevee with its prettyness be for production scenes

I appreciate all the work that has been done so far, all I am trying to do
is get the discussion going for these features.

Kind Regards

Carlo