[Bf-viewport] Unified Eevee and Cycles render settings?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 16:20:55 CEST 2017

Hi,

In Blender 2.8, the Eevee settings for motion blur, depth of field,
volumetrics, AO are per render layer and in a different place in the UI
compared to Cycles and Blender Internal in 2.7x.

I understand the override system is a work in progress, but I wanted to
check if we are planning to get these settings unified with Cycles and
other renderers in the end? I think we should share as many settings as
possible to make switching renderers easier, and to make sure tools,
manipulators and addons work for both.

I could do so some work towards that, making Cycles depth of field settings
native to Blender and used by Eevee, making the Cycles and Eevee light
settings match, and so on.

It's still unclear to me where settings like motion blur, volumetrics and
AO will end up eventually. If overrides work on scene settings then maybe
motion blur can remain in the scene. But volumes and AO for Cycles/BI are
in the world currently, which means you won't be able to override them in a
render layer? So perhaps they should be moved out of the world (or do we
even need the concept of a world datablock anymore)?

Thanks,
Brecht.