[Bf-viewport] Gawain code in Blender GPU

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:33:55 CET 2017

Hi,

Some quick feedback from my side.
>> - All the code which is in source/blender MUST follow some basic Blender code style. Gawain is a complete violation about this. It's even inconsistent in some places with it's own code.
IMHO it should at least use Blender's naming conventions for its
externally accessed API. E.g. immInit() should be something like
GPU_immediate_mode_init(), GPU_gawain_immediate_mode_init() or even
with its own prefix, GAW_immediate_mode_init(). Guess actual function
names can stay the same to not differ too much from Gawain upstream,
simple wrapper macros would probably be fine.
Actually, we already agreed on IRC about doing this (Mike, Dalai and
I), it just never happened.
I don't mind if Gawain uses its own code style internally and I don't
see any technical reasons why this should be a real requirement. I'd
just want everything that's used from within Blender code to use our
code style.
>> - This is a non-GPL code, which isn't even copyrigthed to BF. That on it's own makes me really suspecious to accept that to Blender's core folder.
Gawain goes by the Mozilla Public License, v. 2.0, which is compatible
with Blender's GPL, under some requirements
(https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/combining-mpl-and-gpl/). Seems
like these requirements aren't met yet. I guess this should be handled
ASAP.

Cheers,
- Julian -