[Bf-viewport] Gawain code in Blender GPU

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:07:04 CET 2017

Hi,

Today i finally got to Blender 2.8 branch and here's what immediately
stroke into me.

There is a Gawain library in the source/blender/gpu/gawain folder. While it
all works and helps us, there are the following issues with this:

- All the code which is in source/blender MUST follow some basic Blender
code style. Gawain is a complete violation about this. It's even
inconsistent in some places with it's own code.
- It mixes up C++ and C code for no reason than to have threading
primitives.
- Continuing that, it does not use threading primitives from BLI_thread
- This is a non-GPL code, which isn't even copyrigthed to BF. That on it's
own makes me really suspecious to accept that to Blender's core folder.

So, either we should comply the code to at least minimum acceptable state
for being in Blender core folder or we should more it to intern/ or even
extern/ instead.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin