[Bf-viewport] Gawain code in Blender GPU

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 18:46:32 CET 2017

> Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > - It mixes up C++ and C code for no reason than to have threading
> > primitives.

You refer to the part that cleans up discarded buffer IDs.
I had C and C++ versions of this, and the version with std::vector +
std::mutex is simply better.

> So, either we should comply the code to at least minimum acceptable state
> > for being in Blender core folder or we should more it to intern/ or even
> > extern/ instead.

Gawain really belongs in intern or extern, it was in source/blender/gpu for
convenience. I will move it ASAP.

Files for interfacing Blender concepts (gpu_immediate.c, gpu_batch.c) stay
in source/blender/gpu. The GPU matrix library leverages Blender's math
library & prior ViewportFX work so it's GPL licensed. Those parts of the
code should conform to Blender's coding standards.

Upstream Gawain will have a similar matrix API but a different
implementation. I'm not actively working upstream, just on the
Blender-specific version.

Julian Eisel <eiseljulian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gawain goes by the Mozilla Public License, v. 2.0, which is compatible
> with Blender's GPL, under some requirements
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/combining-mpl-and-gpl/). Seems
> like these requirements aren't met yet. I guess this should be handled
> ASAP.

Thanks for the link, I'm reading that carefully now...

-- Mike