[Bf-viewport] Blender 2.8 Viewport Development

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Sep 27 23:10:44 CEST 2016

Thanks for the write up! Great to see the ideas that have been
floating around confirmed in this document. There's lots of questions
I could ask about the specific implementations, but it's probably too
early for that. But a few general ones:

* The relation between realtime Blender Internal and the PBR viewport
is not clear to me. Would the plan be to maintain the existing BI
shading/lighting system, and add a PBR system in addition, or would
they overlap, get merged or share code somehow?

* It's not really obvious where tasks fit. We have screens which also
corresponds to a specific workflow or "task", but it's not as fine
grained. Multiple viewports in a screen could have different shading
but not a different object mode. The easiest would be to say a task is
a shading mode preset, but maybe there's ideas here to tie
screens/modes/tools into it as well.

* Alpha order handling seems a like it could be something that makes
cleanly separating plates tricky, but I guess this a general problem
in realtime rendering. I'm not too familiar with the latest methods
though so perhaps there's algorithms that fit the plates model well.