[Bf-viewport] [Bf-committers] Blender 2.8 Viewport Development

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Tue Sep 27 23:07:33 CEST 2016

Hey Dalai,

First off, congrats to everyone on the workshop and progress made! The proposals sound great and I have no doubt this will spawn some awesome features.

I just wanted to give some quick feedback, starting with my concern about the intention to remove BI. I very much understand wanting to consolidate the code and not having to worry about this "legacy" renderer, but at the same time, I still think it adds a lot to Blender. It's still my first choice when creating mockups, icons and sprites, just because of its speed and versatility. I know you mention the intent for new viepwort system to take on its responsibility, but I just wanted to be timely in expressing how important I think it is that these capabilities remain. (I would hate to see this hit the back-burner and be whittled down due to "lack of interest" e.g.)

Second, filters! I don't know if I'm getting way ahead of things here, but here are some filters I think might be good to consider:

- Group: Pretty straight-forward; use the existing Group system to apply different plates to different objects. Extremely flexible, and puts a ton of control into the hands of the artist.

- Custom/ Py: Would it be possible to have some kind of custom Python script/ expression to determine which plates to use? I could imagine less-common scenarios where this kind of flexibility would be desirable. For example, writing a statement to render objects either in "clay" or textured mode, depending on the distance from the camera, the layer that the object is on, or a naming prefix/ suffix.

And lastly, shading. I again want to ask about custom versatility here. I remember thinking a while ago "man, this could be really cool for visualizing things like mesh overhangs, intersections, etc!". I don't recall if something like this was mentioned in an earlier message or if I was just daydreaming, but things like that could be very neat, but probably too niche for the BF to focus on. I have a feeling this might be very tricky to do, but is there anyway an API could be provided so shading effects like these could be made and used without having to include it in/ rebuild Blender?

I'll leave it at that for now. Either way, exciting stuff!

Cheers,

Patrick