[Bf-viewport] Color Management in the Viewport and UI in general

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 19:34:08 CEST 2016

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016, 10:22 AM Mike Erwin <significant.bit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Lukas for bringing all this up.
>
> Some quick notes:
>
> With OpenGL we can render to 8-bits-per-component sRGB and sRGB + alpha
> buffers internally for things that don't need deep/HDR color.

This is a bit of a misnomer, so might as well nip it in the bottom...

There is no such thing as "sRGB". That is, if you prime a buffer with a
series of intensity values, they can represent anything, and it ultimately
depends on your context. Both what lights the reference is in *and* the
output context.

So if you fire sRGB values to a high end display or projector that is P3
for example, you get the destination lights at the arbitrary intensity you
have set.

To be clear, there are *no* exceptions; you always must manage the colour
and there is no fast path.