[Bf-viewport] Color Management in the Viewport and UI in general

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:21:11 CEST 2016

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016, 10:22 AM Mike Erwin <significant.bit at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> With OpenGL we can render to 8-bits-per-component sRGB and sRGB + alpha
>> buffers internally for things that don't need deep/HDR color.
>>

> This is a bit of a misnomer, so might as well nip it in the bottom...
>
> There is no such thing as "sRGB". That is, if you prime a buffer with a
> series of intensity values, they can represent anything, and it ultimately
> depends on your context. Both what lights the reference is in *and* the
> output context.
>
> So if you fire sRGB values to a high end display or projector that is P3
> for example, you get the destination lights at the arbitrary intensity you
> have set.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing -- I'm talking about certain
intermediate buffers here, not the final buffer that goes to the display.
Anything involving real lights or materials will use float intermediate
buffers. All intermediate buffers will be composited to the display buffer
(possibly smooshing* HDR to SDR at a given exposure), then the final
display color transform.

-- Mike

*what's the technical term for such smooshing?