[Bf-viewport] Blender 2.8 Viewport Development

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 00:28:20 CEST 2016

Brecht's understanding is spot on. Much of my response here is from the doc
notes, with a few tweaked or expanded phrases.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> The viewport would draw things like widgets or selection outlines on top
> of that. It would also give control over filtering out certain types of
> objects or shading objects in some way that's different than the final
> render. ...  e.g. a matcap for sculpting while using a different material
> in the final render, or to temporarily hide all hair in the viewport but
> not disable it in the final render.

Exactly, the viewport often looks very different from the final render
because you're working on things, not just looking at them. For some tasks
the viewport *will* closely match the render. For real-time game assets
there may not even be a "render" to aim toward!

If I understand it correctly I agree about the UI data and scene data
> distinction, and so a distinction between layers and plates.
> ... It's tempting to unify things here but mixing UI and scene data is
> problematic.

"render pass" and "plate" and "layer" all have to do with what to draw &
how to draw it in a view, but are really different things. We shouldn't try
to find one word that describes multiple concepts. That's false unity and
just makes these things harder to discuss and design.

> We want the viewport to be extensible, and modern realtime rendering often
> works in multiple passes, and I guess that's where the concept of plates
> comes into it. In my opinion the details of how this works should be hidden
> from the user. From the user point of view plates could add extra viewport
> options, and tasks may contain presets of such viewport options. But what
> exactly a plate is should not be known to the user, it should be whatever
> is needed to make the API work best for developers.

User has direct control over layers. They're the main UI used for
organizing objects in the scene.

Plate is a way of rendering data into the viewport. Most of this data is
from objects in one or more layers. Some is from the world. Plates
automatically come & go based on current task. Some plates expose tweakable
options in a UI panel or in the 3D View itself.

Buffers & (real-time) render passes are implementation details, no UI there.

When using Blender people will be thinking in terms of layers & display
options, same as now, but the display options will be smarter & task
specific.

A familiar example that I hope clarifies: Toggling between object mode &
edit mode, your layers won't change but the plates--and therefore the
visuals and possible interactions--will.

-- Mike