[Bf-viewport] Updates for the week of April 11th - April 18th

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 07:31:32 CEST 2016

For the upcoming week:

I've been writing up some Viewport 2.8 ideas / docs / designs and will
share these very soon. Initially it will be "what merwin thinks", but
should give us something to talk about and arrive at "what Blender folks
think". And then on to planning & actions & great success.

Here's a list of topics from my notebook -- I can pick 3 or 4 to expand on
by next week, prioritized by your responses. A lot of these get into
technical details, but always important is the idea that the visuals should
support and enhance the task at hand.

- fundamental drawing styles:  surface (full materials), shape/form (solid,
matcap), structure (polygons)
- wireframes!
- selection outlines, indication
- mixed drawing: wires atop surfaces
- how to combine techniques -- material + nice outlines + screen door
stippling for example
- matrix stacks
- state setting, AKA "revenge of glLineWidth"
- immediate-mode-style drawing
- building draw batches -- GAWAIN
- splitting draw batches -- by material, for low VRAM systems, etc.
- batch caching, animation
- supported systems & GPUs
- OpenGL & Vulkan roadmap
- partial updates / dirty normals
- GPU data request -- shader/technique declares what it needs
- OpenSubdiv enhancements needed
- reflection / env maps / image based lighting
- real-time shadows
- image & texture enhancements needed
- material enhancements needed
- Blender --> Unreal pipeline
- Blender --> [your favorite engine] pipeline

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire