[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:02:29 CET 2015

HI Yuri,

To be clear I suggested ANGLE mainly in the context of providing a better
default GL surface then the GDI drivers do on windows.
I think we should prefer to use a full OpenGL context if presented by the
driver when possible.

Practically I think having to use GLES 2.0 without at some of the
extensions: OES_framebuffer_object, OES_texture_half_float,
OES_texture_float, OES_vertex_array_object could maybe be limiting our
future goals to much. I am also not really clear which subset of this is
exposed on what ES 2.0 implementations.

And getting blender working on an *"OpenGL 2.1 core context"* ( 2.1 -
all features removed from the core context ) is a giant step in this
direction by itself.
And the current work in master cannot and will not bump us passed
OpenGL 2.1 anyway.