[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Yuri Kovelenov yuri at blend4web.com
Tue Dec 8 09:42:10 CET 2015

Hi Brecht, Mike,

Yes, the situation around graphics capabilities is getting better! A few
years ago we observed at best 1-2 FPS on tablets
but now we can run our heaviest "desktop-only" demos on recent iPad Pro.
Still there are computers in our office with Win XP and/or old video
cards which cannot even initialize WebGL context.
I remember myself starting my graphics career with a cheap notebook
(video card of which I could not upgrade, because it's a laptop :D).
This is great that Blender is so forgiving in regards to system
requirements - 3DS Max for example can only work on 64-bit Windows 7+.

Using ANGLE as backend for Blender viewport looks very promising to me.
You will only write OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0 code - it will be
automatically translated to DX 9, 11 and desktop GL. Why not use a
robust, open source solution provided by Google folks?
You guys will be able to concentrate on features rather than dealing
with multiple user complaints like "Simply cannot run Blender, help!!!!11"

https://chromium.googlesource.com/angle/angle/+/master/README.md

As for Blend4Web, it would be much easier for us to improve consistency
between the viewport and WebGL rendering. Now, our users suffer from
a single huge issue - they want to see the same result while authoring
their scenes in Blender as on a web page. We'll be also able to contribute
our optimized ES 2.0 code for many real-time features (post FX, shadows,
new GLSL nodes, etc) to Blender.

We also believe that Blender can and should work on tablets and even in
browsers. It is even more important for the BGE - currently,
game developers are forced to switch to proprietary solutions such as
Unity simply because the BGE does not support mobile devices.
If Blender was based on OpenGL ES, the JavaScript build could be
obtained almost automatically by using the Emscripten compiler.

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki/Porting-Examples-and-Demos

I hope this will help!

Best regards,

Yuri