[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:51:06 CET 2015

Jacob Merrill <blueprintrandom1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to socket the render?

My first instinct is that there will be one "best" renderer for any
specific system. So swapping out renderers at runtime or between runs
doesn't make sense. Plus that would be a *nightmare* to code up! There will
most likely be platform-specific code though, and options to enable or
disable at build time.

> Can data be independent of the render?

For the most part yes. It gets interesting for materials &
shaders-as-content -- some might be specific to the renderer or targeted
game engine. This is still very much open for design.

> So you could later update/change render features without effecting the
> rest of blender?

 From one release to the next you mean? Please clarify.

-- Mike