[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 01:25:37 CET 2015

The iOS and Mac App Store guidelines prohibit GPL software because their
terms are incompatible. If this situation ever changes Blender might be
pretty cool on an iPad. Point is we can't use iOS as a reason to be
compatible with any version of OpenGL ES. Android of course *is* a good
reason to! Windows tablets do full GL (right?) so those already work.

One of the main benefits of using GL 3.x proper (x = 2 or 3) is that we
don't have to tiptoe around GPU features that might or might not be there.
I'd like the same for ES if we do support it, and would push for 3.0 there.
One style of GLSL, one big set of guaranteed features.

If a new Blender feature relies on geometry shaders or something else not
in ES, do we simply not support that feature on ES platforms? Like we do
today for OpenSubdiv on Mac.

Sorry for sounding negative; I'm just trying to understand the issues and
let us make informed decisions.
:D <-- see, optimism!

-- Mike