[Bf-vfx] Mango Samples with ACES via rrt_sRGB

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun May 20 17:37:22 CEST 2012

On May 20, 2012 5:24 AM, "Brecht Van Lommel" <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > True, Yet Brecht is right any look/creative LUT should be done down the
pipe

Well known and understood, as already pointed out by the LMT quote above,
however slightly tangential to the a discussion of the statement:

>If we apply it before they wouldn't be both in the same linear space.

> I guess the world "linear" is a bit loaded. But after such an LMT, the
> colors are definitely not linear with scene radiometry anymore. I
> would call that a different space but it's just a matter of semantics.

The scene referred intent may be skewed.

The sole point I was making was that the end transform LUTs do the heavy
lifting of manipulating workspace value foo into expected result bar.

In the ACES case, the RRT / ODT always interpret the working space as ACES,
no matter how mangled / contaminated / broken the scene intent may be,
creative of otherwise.

The good news however, is that it would be identical across all touch
points in a pipeline and even across vendors / services, assuming the
output devices are calibrated[1][2].

With respect,
TJS

[1] A discussion of output device profile LUT in the final position would
probably be expected.
[2] The same could be said of an sRGB LUT assuming the chain was
accountable and delivered to the standards for primaries, white points, and
curvature.