[Bf-vfx] Mango Samples with ACES via rrt_sRGB

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sat May 19 19:19:16 CEST 2012

On May 19, 2012 9:42 AM, "Guillermo Espertino (Gez)" <gespertino at gmail.com>
wrote:

> El 18/05/12 12:23, Ton Roosendaal escribió:

> So, if that's so, the way to go (at least avoiding the need of modifying
> Blender) would be sGamut > Corrective LUT > sRGB instead of just jumping
> from sGamut to sRGB chromaticity.

The conversion out of the F65 software converts the footage to ACES.

Following ACES in the pipeline there is the Reference Render Transform
(RRT) and the Output Device Transform (ODT) on the tail end.

The creative LUT, or Look Modification LUT in ACES terminology, is situated
to be applied prior to the RRT / ODT sequence.

>From the ACES specification page 10:

"3.18 Look Modification Transform (LMT) signal-processing transform that
maps an ACES representation of an image to another ACES representation of
an image. Zero or more LMTs may be applied to the ACES data prior to their
being color rendered by the Reference Rendering Transform."

Once in ACES, all of your camera capture data is slotted into accurate
positions that correspond with the CIE Standard Observer and maintaining a
linear relationship. The SGamut / SLog / LogC / ArriRaw data no longer
applies.

Theoretically all is identical if the Blender team implemented a proper CM
system and decided to master in sRGB space, albeit with a much smaller
overall color gamut.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question, but hopefully it is a little clearer.

The official PDFs at Github extremely useful information for folks
interested in ACES, especially if one already knows a little bit about
color management systems:

https://github.com/ampas/aces-dev/tree/master/docs

With respect,
TJS