[Bf-vfx] Mango Samples with ACES via rrt_sRGB

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun May 20 03:49:45 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Guillermo Espertino (Gez)
<gespertino at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, that's exactly what I tried to say.
> I was wondering if the LMT is missing. That's something to be asked to the
> DP, right?
>
> I mean, the ACES footage should have the LMT applied prior the conversion to
> sRGB chromaticity if the footage will be processed in Blender using that
> gamut, but in linear space of course.

The LMT should be applied on both the footage and renders, after
compositing. If we apply it before they wouldn't be both in the same
linear space.

>From looking at the ACES test images, and feedback from Jeremy Selan,
this increased contrast is just the default look we get from ACES,
there's nothing wrong with it, it's just the starting point that we
then tweak further. Also note this increased contrast is visible when
applying the ACES RRT to rendered images, it's not a feature of the
footage.

So I don't think we're missing a LMT from the DP, it is simply a
creative decision that will need to be made by the artists here. As I
understand it, for Mango the role of DP is more limited than perhaps
is usual, grading / color decisions will be made by the artists here.

Brecht.