[Bf-vfx] On Format Woes

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:01:24 CEST 2012

about mxf, I have been shooting with Canon C300 last week, and it does use
it as well.
This format (container) aim to become more and  more popular as I
understand it and shouldn't have to go through format exchange since this
one is.
I don't know about the Sony camera, but Canon provides LUT for some embeded
profile in the C300 which makes some work easier when you have some CMS
handling that :)

cheers,

F.

2012/4/5 Andrew Hunter <andrew at aehunter.net>

> Hey Everyone,
>
> Some further notes:
>
> The F65 viewer documentation is available here [1].
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Andrew Hunter <andrew at aehunter.net>
> wrote:
> > Hey Ton and Sebastian,
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Thirdly, your comment regarding linear vs slog on export illustrates
> > that now more than ever proper colour management is essential for the
> > mango project. In an ideal case, it shouldn't matter wither you export
> > as a linear gamma encoded image or an slog encoded image. As I
> > understand it, S-Log just compresses the linear and overbright vales
> > (ie, >1) into a 0-1 range for integer formats.
>
> According to the table on page 31 of the release notes for the F65
> Viewer app, exporting to OpenEXR is only possible with linear gamma.
>
> > OpenColorIO already supports the F65 via Academy IIF-ACES (Image
> > Interchange Framework - Academy Color Encoding Space) workflow[3].
> > Included in that are the academy approved transforms for the F65. This
> > is an opportunity for Blender to be at the forefront of supporting the
> > latest advances in digital cinematography. Further information on ACES
> > is available from here[4].
>
> Further more, the F65 Viewer app alows the exporting of image data
> already in ACES, no longer necessiating an Input Device Transform on
> Blender's end. It would only require the Reference Rendering Transform
> and an Output Display Transform.
>

> > This would be however, a potentially major overhaul of how Blender
> > views image data internally. For one, finally defining a colour space
> > that we work in internally!
>
> It was brought to my attention that Xavier Thomas has already working
> such an integration. Perhaps the developers could chime in on the
> possibility of getting this work merged to trunk.[2]
>
> [...]
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Andrew
>
> [1]