[Bf-vfx] On Format Woes

Andrew Hunter andrew at aehunter.net
Thu Apr 5 17:53:27 CEST 2012

Hey Everyone,

Some further notes:

The F65 viewer documentation is available here [1].

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Andrew Hunter <andrew at aehunter.net> wrote:
> Hey Ton and Sebastian,

[...]
> Thirdly, your comment regarding linear vs slog on export illustrates
> that now more than ever proper colour management is essential for the
> mango project. In an ideal case, it shouldn't matter wither you export
> as a linear gamma encoded image or an slog encoded image. As I
> understand it, S-Log just compresses the linear and overbright vales
> (ie, >1) into a 0-1 range for integer formats.

According to the table on page 31 of the release notes for the F65
Viewer app, exporting to OpenEXR is only possible with linear gamma.

> OpenColorIO already supports the F65 via Academy IIF-ACES (Image
> Interchange Framework - Academy Color Encoding Space) workflow[3].
> Included in that are the academy approved transforms for the F65. This
> is an opportunity for Blender to be at the forefront of supporting the
> latest advances in digital cinematography. Further information on ACES
> is available from here[4].

Further more, the F65 Viewer app alows the exporting of image data
already in ACES, no longer necessiating an Input Device Transform on
Blender's end. It would only require the Reference Rendering Transform
and an Output Display Transform.

> This would be however, a potentially major overhaul of how Blender
> views image data internally. For one, finally defining a colour space
> that we work in internally!

It was brought to my attention that Xavier Thomas has already working
such an integration. Perhaps the developers could chime in on the
possibility of getting this work merged to trunk.[2]

[...]

Sincerely,

Andrew

[1] https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/downloads/SoftwarePLUSReleaseNotes/Release-Notes-F65RVM100.pdf