[Bf-vfx] Tomato camera sensor changes

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Oct 21 14:54:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> If my memory is correct, the main reason this is up for discussion is
> because of a (mostly convenient) peculiarity of blender, where the aspect
> ratio is determined by the resolution, and decisions are made in the camera
> model based on what edge (vertical/horizontal) of the final frame is longer.
> I think it would be better to just make this explicit, with 3 FOV
> calculation modes:
> * Auto - the default, same as is now
> * Horizontal priority - always use horizontal sensor size for FOV
> calculation
> * Vertical priority - always use vertical sensor size for FOV calculation
>
> This could probably affect what is editable in the UI too - if Horizontal
> priority is selected, the vertical sensor size could be greyed out, and vice
> versa.

This seems like a good solution. If the calculation mode is Auto it
could show Angle and Sensor Size instead of Angle X and Sensor Width
and just hide Y/Height components. When selecting a different camera
preset then I guess it would typically be Vertical priority and it
would show both dimensions.

So, does everyone agree with this solution? Anyone want to implement this?

Thanks,
Brecht.