[Bf-vfx] Tomato camera sensor changes

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 12:12:12 CEST 2011

2011/10/20 Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net>

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:38 AM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>>> That the sensor_width becomes sensor_height in portrait, is as
>>> Francois writes,
>>

>> NO ! I was actually saying that the sensor width NEVER becomes the sensor
>> height. portrait mode is a rotation of the camera itself. You should never
>> intervert those parameter
>>

> I'm not convinced by this reasoning (any time the sensor height > width
> represents a camera rotation). Firstly not all camera formats are landscape
> - some are square, some are portrait. We're not just talking about tracking
> here (which I agree most of the time is done with landscape formats), but
> we're talking about blender's camera model in general, and this should be
> more flexible. I should be able to use blender to match output from my 6x6
> mamiya or my half-frame olympus pen! ;)
>
> The other thing is that bringing the idea of a camera rotation into
> blender's camera model complicates and confuses the issue - rotation is a
> property of the object and has nothing to do with the lens/film back.

if you set your filmback correctly the camera will rotate by itself when
you'll track it (yes I meant the object in 3d space) and if you do the
lineup manually then you'll rotate the camera in 3d space (thats what I
meant) if you have a 6x6 or 36x24, no matter on how your camera is in 3d
space you should and have to respect the sensor size and parameter.
The other reason to have all parameters is because some camera do not use
the full surface of the sensor. For instance the camcorder Canon HF10 has a
sensor of 4.54x3.42. But the actual used surface is 4.54x2.55 (px ratio 1.0,
resolution gate 1920x1080) I would believe the full sensor is used in case
of photo mode perhaps. RED is having same kind of stuff depending on the
recording resolution.