[Bf-vfx] Blender camera tracking approach

Francesco Paglia paglia at sparkde.com
Tue May 10 00:24:45 CEST 2011

Hi all,
I've just start reading this new list and I could't resist in giving my feed
back! :)
Hope it would be interesting :D
As Francois says lens distortion represents part of the language used by the
Director and the DoP to tell a story.
Undistorted images, except some cases, are useful just for CG production
purposes.
Once we comp a shot we do use lot of different footages to improve our scene
and the ability to distort all the elements (not only the 3D part) will be a
good plus Just think about matte painting and/or other kind of rushes and
you'll get the point!

We are seeing blender becoming every day more procedural and I think to have
the distortion as a camera shader or as a comp node were we can pass the
data collected during the tracking solve would be a great choice (maybe in
comp time will be faster to edit if we want to adjust it - without
re-render)

As Ton says maybe at the moment is too early to talk about design and in
fact tools to improve/edit/mask a sequence of images aren't related to the
libvm.

What is important is the definition of what is a "simple shot"
Camera tracking relies a lot on the experience of the artist whom, watching
the clips, is able to take the (hopefully good) points and turn it into
useful data.

There are lot of false friends in 3D tracking and a very simple tracker
would require much more experience in understanding how to solve a clip :)

A tracker that isn't able to handle shot within a good range of situations
isn't very useful... I'm not talking about hero shots I'm just thinking at
situation like:
1. hand held shot with someone acting in front of the camera
2. wide environment with small parallax
3. fast moving medium shots

just shot that are always part of a storytelling process.

--
Francesco Paglia
VFX & Production supervisor