[Bf-vfx] Blender camera tracking approach

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:29:51 CEST 2011

Hehe ^^ Sounds much clearer when you say it :)
In my experience (and own workflow) I tend to keep the distortion as late as
possible. Mainly for the reason you gave, so you don't have to re-render
stuff, you are not loosing quality of going back & forth with distortion to
adjust stuff. and you can keep it together by doing it all in the same
places (CG, additional footages, matte painting, green screen,...) rather
then doing one in a shader, the other one in comp, and another one in the
image editor. Especially if the distortion comes to change along the way
then your workflow becomes a nightmare.
but still having it as a shader for a quick all-in I guess could be nice,
just not a priority IMO

Undistortion, should be seen as a pre-process in the matchmove workflow.
with the same filter in compositor. that would be perfect, and not much
trouble for dev and testing at first

Cheers,

F.

2011/5/10 Francesco Paglia <paglia at sparkde.com>

> Hi all,
> I've just start reading this new list and I could't resist in giving my
> feed back! :)
> Hope it would be interesting :D
> As Francois says lens distortion represents part of the language used by
> the Director and the DoP to tell a story.
> Undistorted images, except some cases, are useful just for CG production
> purposes.
> Once we comp a shot we do use lot of different footages to improve our
> scene and the ability to distort all the elements (not only the 3D part)
> will be a good plus Just think about matte painting and/or other kind of
> rushes and you'll get the point!
>
> We are seeing blender becoming every day more procedural and I think to
> have the distortion as a camera shader or as a comp node were we can pass
> the data collected during the tracking solve would be a great choice (maybe
> in comp time will be faster to edit if we want to adjust it - without
> re-render)
>
> As Ton says maybe at the moment is too early to talk about design and in
> fact tools to improve/edit/mask a sequence of images aren't related to the
> libvm.
>
> What is important is the definition of what is a "simple shot"
> Camera tracking relies a lot on the experience of the artist whom, watching
> the clips, is able to take the (hopefully good) points and turn it into
> useful data.
>
> There are lot of false friends in 3D tracking and a very simple tracker
> would require much more experience in understanding how to solve a clip :)
>
> A tracker that isn't able to handle shot within a good range of situations
> isn't very useful... I'm not talking about hero shots I'm just thinking at
> situation like:
> 1. hand held shot with someone acting in front of the camera
> 2. wide environment with small parallax
> 3. fast moving medium shots
>
> just shot that are always part of a storytelling process.
>

> --
> Francesco Paglia
> VFX & Production supervisor
> Spark D.E.