[Bf-vfx] Footage proxying

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:35:26 CEST 2011

I'm using DJV a lot which does have this kind of on-the-fly proxy stuff you
can set.
Nuke also have this ability where you can set the resolution of the proxy
you want to.

But for tracking, as a rule of thumb, we never downsample the footage, but
track on the one which would be final (even if it's 4k and very slow :p).
The reason for that is because downsampling could cause some slight shifting
in the pixels which would cause a mismatch when applying the solve (which
I've been done on the downsampling) onto the final 4K. Might not make a huge
difference for most people, but it usually does for the one who is working
on it, and we usually try to have a subpixel accurancy.
Actually even the inverse (resample to create a better resolution) is
available in most the matchmove packages (Syntheyes for instance has it). I
only use it on really poor footages or fast moving camera, because those
kind of resample would create thick edges which usually doesn't match the
original footage.
On a 64bit computer with 4/6 gb of memory, you can put a few seconds in RAM
which is usually enough for tracking.
I'm sorry if that doesn't sounds very clear :( . tell me if you need more
explanation.

Cheers,

F.

2011/6/7 Peter Schlaile <peter at schlaile.de>

> Hi Sergey,
>
> you might want to take a look at the vse-proxies branch, which I want to
> merge very soon into trunk.
>
> http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2011-May/032152.html
>
> It's working on ImBuf-level, so you could use it directly in other parts
> of blender, if you like.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> > I'm still working under camera tracking integration and need some help.
> >
> > One of goals is to be able to deal with 4K footage. But to deal with it
> > fine, there should be some stuff which would reduce resolution to make
> > playback faster. Such transparent resolution changing is called proxying
> in
> > our development stuff.
> >
> > So, questions are:
> > - How proxying should happen? Should it be slider to specify quality of
> > footage or it should be determined automatically using current zoom
> level,
> > space clip size and so?
> > - Should it be able to specify tracker which footage to use: original 4K
> or
> > proxied?
> > - Should user really care about this proxies or they should be totally
> > transparent for him?
> >
> > --
> > With best regards, Sergey I. Sharybin
>
> ----