[Bf-vfx] Non-square shapes for pattern and search areas

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 00:04:47 CEST 2011

lol, yeah actually that's the first thing I change in the pref, the right
click selection !
Anyhow, I understand what you are saying, I have been dealing with this kind
of stuff in my everyday work, so I know very well the importance of having
a consistence in all your ergonomic design ! But in another hand, my goal is
to make the most suitable tool for the end-user, and in this case  I don't
care how it's done, do whatever you wants (autokey, under the hood, ...) at
the end as a matchmove workflow, you need that to be animated, and the user
shouldn't have to key it himself. that's all I'm saying ! after that, it can
be done in anyway you wish, I don't care :)
And if it is really not possible because of previous UI ergonomic design in
blender, then I guess it is fine... but it will just make it a less good
tool IMO. You have enough to care about while tracking that if you on top of
that you have to remember to key your settings, well it becomes a nightmare
:)

cheers

F.

2011/7/22 Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:58 AM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > well to me its very different ! you cannot compare the animation of a
> mesh,
> > and how a marker is supposed to react, can you ? Having matchmove ability
> > makes Blender a huge program than does many things, but in the same time
> > different things with different needs.
>
> Yes but within that, it's not an unrealistic suggestion to say that in
> terms of design, we are working within a greater whole. To abide by
> that is likely a very wise choice for interface designs.
>
> The current crop of issues within Blender is that it _is_ fractured.
> Having a cohesive approach to design and UI principles helps to reduce
> that fracturing. If we look at _all_ aspects of Blender currently,
> they all behave in similar ways regarding interfaces. There is room to
> improve for certain, but having a shift in  the internal and
> established UI paradigm isn't likely a wise move.
>
> Obviously this isn't a black or white issue. We need to meet the needs
> of the artist, but we also have to give consideration to the
> established expectations and interface trends.
>
> > I guess you can turn auto-key on automatically if you prefer. but as a
> > end-user, if at some point it is not turn on for X reason, that I'm
> tracking
> > for 20 minutes a hard feature, solve it, come back at some problematic
> > frames to refine the track and find out that my pattern area or search
> area
> > settings are all mess up or lost, I'll be pretty pissed :)
>
> Understandably, but that also would suggest that you are coming with
> no Blender experience. You will likely be equally pissed when you
> realize that you didn't grab the tracker with your left mouse button.
>
> Anyways, all I can hope is that we balance the needs of the artist
> against the internal and previously established patterns.
>
> With respect,
> TJS

François Tarlier
www.francois-tarlier.com