[Bf-vfx] Non-square shapes for pattern and search areas

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 19:34:00 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:58 AM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com> wrote:
> well to me its very different ! you cannot compare the animation of a mesh,
> and how a marker is supposed to react, can you ? Having matchmove ability
> makes Blender a huge program than does many things, but in the same time
> different things with different needs.

Yes but within that, it's not an unrealistic suggestion to say that in
terms of design, we are working within a greater whole. To abide by
that is likely a very wise choice for interface designs.

The current crop of issues within Blender is that it _is_ fractured.
Having a cohesive approach to design and UI principles helps to reduce
that fracturing. If we look at _all_ aspects of Blender currently,
they all behave in similar ways regarding interfaces. There is room to
improve for certain, but having a shift in  the internal and
established UI paradigm isn't likely a wise move.

Obviously this isn't a black or white issue. We need to meet the needs
of the artist, but we also have to give consideration to the
established expectations and interface trends.

> I guess you can turn auto-key on automatically if you prefer. but as a
> end-user, if at some point it is not turn on for X reason, that I'm tracking
> for 20 minutes a hard feature, solve it, come back at some problematic
> frames to refine the track and find out that my pattern area or search area
> settings are all mess up or lost, I'll be pretty pissed :)

Understandably, but that also would suggest that you are coming with
no Blender experience. You will likely be equally pissed when you
realize that you didn't grab the tracker with your left mouse button.

Anyways, all I can hope is that we balance the needs of the artist
against the internal and previously established patterns.

With respect,
TJS