[Bf-vfx] Non-square shapes for pattern and search areas

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 18:58:49 CEST 2011

well to me its very different ! you cannot compare the animation of a mesh,
and how a marker is supposed to react, can you ? Having matchmove ability
makes Blender a huge program than does many things, but in the same time
different things with different needs.
I guess you can turn auto-key on automatically if you prefer. but as a
end-user, if at some point it is not turn on for X reason, that I'm tracking
for 20 minutes a hard feature, solve it, come back at some problematic
frames to refine the track and find out that my pattern area or search area
settings are all mess up or lost, I'll be pretty pissed :)

F.

2011/7/22 Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 4:26 AM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > right now if I track 20 frames, then adjust the pattern or search area,
> > track again. Then want to refine/adjust the 20 first frames, my
> "settings"
> > for those frame are lost, I now have the settings of the 21+ frames. You
> see
> > ? I shouldn't have to animate it myself, it should remember my settings
> > itself, since tracker settings are not for the footage itself, but for a
> > portion of frames (at least it happen often, especially w/ supervised
> > tracking)
>
> There should be a little caution here as Blender already has
> specifically set up the UI expectations as a mental model.
>
> If we move a Cube mesh on frame 24, we lose the position on the previous
> frames.
>
> To this end, it would likely be good practice to follow the model
> already in place, otherwise we are running the risk of turning Blender
> into a nasty monster with expectations within the interface.
>
> That said, we also need a method do solve the above situation. Would
> the Auto Key function be a logical thing to use here?
>
> >> - is having numerical value in UI very useful?
>
> I'm with Sergey on this one. I think the numerical values are pretty
> useful.
>
> >> I would rather resize it on the marker itself than going into the
> property
> >> panel and having to enter numerical value. Trackers have nice UI with
> square
> >> & arrow on the side can't we grab that to do all the manipulation ? (or
> >> maybe it is planned but not yet implemented :p )
>
> I think the design choices Sergey has made to include numerical values
> here fit within the established paradigm of Blender well too. Nothing
> lost for those that want to stick to the purely graphical elements,
> and a good deal of high grade granularity for those that require it.
>
> Great work folks. Let's be very careful about the UI decisions.
>
> TJS

François Tarlier
www.francois-tarlier.com
www.linkedin.com/in/francoistarlier