[Bf-translations-dev] Material and Texture slot translation

Gabriel Gazzán gabcorreo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 01:40:58 CET 2013

Hi Yain,

Yeah, I guess there will probably be tons of things that people accustomed
to English language in CG software for years will hate about Blender´s UI
translation.
Let me start by saying that at first I´ve gone through the same line of
thinking you express here too.
RGB, Gimbal, Render, SSS and what not, all "preserved"...

But then I realised a key fact that changed my point of view on the
subject: *No matter what kind of effort we go through to please
professional users with the words we choose, NO ONE will really use the
translated UI for professional work anyway!*
That´s the nature of things ...and the reasons, as I understand it, are
many:

   - People don´t want changes when they already know something, and this
   (the use of Spanish in a 3D program) is a really big change, not seen in
   any other truly professional software, pardon me Cinema 4D users! :)
   - People who hardly know English and have gone through big pains to
   (also hardly) understand how to move inside a 3D program, often have
   learned "words" by heart and not "concepts". So their real knowledge of
   what´s behind a 3D program escapes them and they won´t be able to find the
   meaning of the translated words as a "logic translation" of the same
   concept (because they don´t ever learned that concept in first place).
   - Also, as Internet tutorials are mostly made using the English
   interface of the program, if they want to be able to progress alone, they
   will keep the English version (and they do right about that one) to be able
   to watch the screen, as the talking head speaks words they don´t
   understand, because at least they could go through the same menus and click
   on the same buttons. That´s the way they´ve learned anyway... the hard way.
   Believe me they don´t want to re-learn the same again, just to be able to
   use it in Spanish, after they already passed though hell. :)
   - If they want to participate in an international team for doing some
   work, all others are likely to use the English version anyway.
   - ...and perhaps some more I can't expose now.

In effect, I´m convinced the vast majority of the people you are speaking
in name of, will simply NOT be a user of the Spanish interface no matter if
it says "RVA" nor if it says "RGB", if it says "Cardán" or "Gimbal" or
whatever other words you care about. The strongest reasons don't lie
there...

*So to whom is the translation for, then?*
I think this translation should really be understandable, useful and
didactic for the new generations that will come fresh... the only ones that
would really use it and appreciate it; kids that are not thinking of any
kind of industry now. But kids that, perhaps in the future they will be
engaged with 3D and become professionals thanks to a program that speaks a
simple language, and that ultimately is easier to grasp.
I am right now teaching Blender classes to teens, using the current
translation, and to my experience no one of them have raised that kind of
concern i.e. about RVA not being "standard". They just took it naturally
that R stood for Rojo, V for Verde and A for Azul. Presto! One thing less
to trouble them with, let´s move ahead! :)

*Of course I could be wrong, or there could be some other use cases that
I´m not foreseeing right now, and I´m certainly not against talking about
the subject either, but that´s the conclusion I´ve arrived at by now.*

Greetings,
Gabriel