[Bf-translations-dev] German translation - some edits

CoDEmanX codemanx at gmx.de
Fri Jun 15 16:02:49 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

great to hear that from you! I stumbled upon your comments several times
in the PO file, looks like you've been one of the most active german
translators :)

Using infinitives is deffo a general decision and should be noted
somewhere -> new wiki page?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=Dev:DE/Doc/How_to/Translate_Blender&action=edit

Mont29 gave me svn access and I already commited without further changes
(I'm always afraid of data loss due to hardware defects and such), might
be worth to revert and re-commit with changes following your suggestions.

Is there a Windows-alternative for POedit which works well together with
SVN?

Better PO editor - http://sourceforge.net/projects/betterpoeditor/
GTed - http://www.gted.org/#Screenshots

An addon for in-place translation would be awesome indeed, it would let
translators focus on important strings visible in UI, leaving Operator
descriptions untouched for now (the ones which show in pyconsole on
autocomplete).

But I wonder if this is going to work... Aren't identical strings
grouped together? Like... Volume properties for Speakers and Render
types --> both msgid "Volume". If I translated the latter, wouldn't both
change?

Decisions we have to make on how to translate certain words:

Vertices - Eckpunkte / Vertices?
--> should we avoid anglicisms whenever possible?

Face, surface - Fläche / Face, Oberfläche

Mask edit(ing) - Masken / Masken bearbeiten (mode dropdown list)

Sculpt mode - Skulpturmodus / Skulptur / Meißeln / Formen

F-Curve - Kurve, Funktionskurve, Verlaufskurve, Segmentkurve?

NLA, Strip - ???

Clip - Clip? (Videoausschnitt / Filmstück would be sort of awkward...)

Bevel - Abrunden, Fase, Abschrägung? (but Curve bevel seems to add
thickness, so more generic "Runden" might be a better choice)

Collapse - kollabieren, (ein)stürzen, kippen, zusammenfalten, ...

Rip - Auseinanderreißen?

and many many more...

I wonder if certain words were better kept as anglicisms, to avoid
confusion for python programmers. The bpy api itself won't be translated:

bpy.data.meshes[0] --> not bpy.daten.netze[0] in german translation

If mesh was kept as Mesh, people could find API data structure more
easily. In other cases, it would be silly to use the english word, e.g.
Rip - doesn't mean anything to a german who don't knows any english :(

We should really decide about often used words and put them on Wiki, so
everyone can look them up.

Looking forward to a localized german blender,
kind regards,

Cody