[Bf-taskforce25] Netbeans + Blender Source

Sven von Brand svbrand at alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Mar 22 22:10:25 CET 2009

Keanen Shaw wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I just wanted to point out the irony of editing the Blender source code
> in Netbeans. Netbeans is usually used for Java, a language that I think
> would be perfect for Blender. It kind of goes along with the Jython
> complete rewrite thing. If we could move to an interpreted language, and
> keep the API in that language, it would be a lot easier for rookies like
> myself to compile our own versions of Blender. I mean, what's the point
> of an open source project if you can't build on it? The complete source
> code isn't even included in the main download for Blender! I'm just
> saying that this should be developed by the community, not just two
> guys. Food for thought.
> -Keanen

I'm a rookie here too, but, have some experience in participating in
other development lists, and you should be grateful with everyone in
this list, because they have been the nicest when answering you're
questions and suggestions.

Now, from rookie to rookie, let me tell you some things:

First: Blender is made by a community, but from that community there are
only 2 persons who work full time, the other ones work in their spare
time, or as part of a bigger job, just read the blender.org wintercamp
post and you'll see.

Second: Blender is made in C, and Game Blender in C++, that's what the
big dogs here decided, that's what they're comfortable in, and that's
what rookie dogs should try to understand. If you do a little research
you might even find the reasons behind the decision and agree with them,
and there are plenty good reasons. Once you're no longer a rookie dog,
but a big dog, then you can go, and try to make big changes.

Third: When was the last time you compiled the Linux Kernel? that's an
open source project, I use it every day, but I haven't compile it even
once, nor made a change, nor do I want to. Blender is a relatively big
project, I know that "Manos Digitales" made their own Blender version,
but apart from them most of the "versions" are part of the development
main process, as they use branches to develop side projects, like the
GSoC's projects.

Fourth: I would love to see some of you're ideas up and running or at
least some work to see what you're talking about. Could you get some
code done for example? just take a section, like the render, port part
of the code and explain how it fits in the whole rewrite and what else
should be changed.

Fifth: I, personally, am comfortable with the work made here, I have
used Blender for a while now, and they have made great advances through
this last years, so I don't feel development is slow, and I don't think
two persons are the sole responsibles for all the changes.

I know I don't participate a lot in this list writing, but I strongly
believe, one should try things for himself before saying how things
should be done, specially in this kind of projects.

Sven von Brand Laredo
Estudiante de Ing. Civil Informatica, UTFSM
Fedora Ambassador for Chile