[Bf-taskforce25] UI Animation

William Reynish william at reynish.com
Mon Mar 9 21:22:23 CET 2009

Hi,

While defining the way Blender draws the panels and buttons on the
screen, this may the time to make sure the system supports animated
transitions.

Why use animation in the UI? Because if a button or panel jumps to a
new position it is obtrusive, and the user must reorient him/herself,
whereas the if a button or panel gracefully moves to a new position,
the reorganization is clear, and the user can immediately find his/her
way in new state.

Currently, Blender uses animation for panels opening and closing, but
since the sense of buttons hierarchy is much stronger in 2.5 I think
it is pretty important to allow for animations where buttons may
appear or disappear.

Here are some example movies for demonstration:

http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/panel_openclose_anim.mov
http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/panel_content_anim.mov

To support this, I'm assuming the system would need to be able put
buttons into 'blocks' that can then be animated using OpenGL?

Cheers

-William