[Bf-taskforce25] wintercamp technical todos

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Mon Mar 9 19:13:12 CET 2009

Hi,

I made a To Do list for 2.5 technical issues to work on.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/WinterCamp/TechnicalTodo

Some more detailed ideas were written down at:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/WinterCamp/TechnicalDesign

Who will work on what isn't clear yet, I'll probably work on RNA/Context
items, Ton on WM/Screen and Campbell on Python, as was already
happening. Especially UI topics would be good to tackle sooner rather
than later since that is the missing thing to get 2.5 to a somewhat
usable state, and so that UI designers can get started.

The design for generating UI's isn't fixed yet, it will be based on
layout templates like "transform coordinates", "preview", "datablock
browse", "row", "columns", etc. Not completely auto generated from RNA
but specified on a fairly high level. We need to think of an API to
create buttons as in these mockups (created by William), while still
permitting working on multiple selected items for example:

http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/2_5_mockups_01.png
http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/2_5_mockups_02.png
http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/2_5_mockups_03.png
http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/2_5_mockups_04.png
http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/2_5_mockups_05.png

Regarding RNA and Context stuff, it's challenging to keep this system
understandable so I'll try to document implementation and usage better,
and ask for reviews on bf-taskforce25 .. to avoid me being the only one
who understands how it works internally. Diagrams and more detailed docs
will follow as I work out the design a bit better.

Brecht.