[Bf-taskforce25] colour picker feedback

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Jun 15 15:44:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

We've had a few chats in IRC about the new colour picker, I thought
I'd post an amended proposal here.

The new picker is very cool, but it has some drawbacks.

Good stuff:
* It's pretty
* It's nice and compact
* It's fast to use for situations that don't need high precision, like
the persistent colour picker for painting tools

Bad stuff:
* We definitely need access to the R/G/B values and sampler directly.
Hiding this behind a modifier key goes against the transparency that
we're trying to achieve with 2.5
* It gets very annoying that the colour picker disappears after the
first click (or drag). This means that you have to pull up the colour
picker twice to set the colour properly (hue/sat/value). Hidden
modifier keys don't count here.

http://mke3.net/blender/devel/2.5/colour_picker.jpg

So here's a proposal that hopefully combines the best of all worlds.
The idea is that you can get the quick-tweak-picker with its hidden
functionality as a shortcut, by dragging on the picker. This is
available for people who know about it, but it's not the primary means
of choosing a colour.

But by default, the way that most people will use the colour picker
(with a click), it shows the relevant sliders and sampler.

cheers,

Matt