[Bf-taskforce25] Modifier Layout Proposal

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Sat Jun 6 23:21:23 CEST 2009

>> In the stack, custom names are not visible.  I use
>> custom names on modifiers and constraints all the
>> time.
>
> I didn't show it well in the proposal, but the idea is to be able to
> click on the names of the modifiers and change them.

   That wasn't what I meant.  I assumed that custom names were still
there.  I was saying that they aren't visible in the stack because the
stack in your proposal is rows of icons.

   But I think it's a moot point now?  I think we mostly agree to
stick with the current system.

Matt Ebb:
> I would definitely not like to have to click on individual modifiers
> to see their settings. One of the advantages of Blender's modifier
> stack over Max's for example is that you *can* see everything at a
> glance.

   This is also why I would like to see physics modifier's settings
actually moved into their stack items.  As I said in an earlier email,
if they're going to be modifiers, they should really truly be
modifiers.  And that includes their settings being in the same place
as other modifiers, and being able to add more than one, each with
different settings.
   It's a weird and confusing exception to have just these one kind of
modifiers have their settings in a completely different part of the
interface.

   If that doesn't fit with how they work, then IMO they don't belong
in the modifier stack at all.

--Nathan V