[Bf-taskforce25] defaults & tweaks list

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sun Jul 12 19:41:39 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 13:31 +0200, Gustav Göransson wrote:
> Is there a reason why the default clip start value have been changed
> from 0.1 to 0.01 in 2.5. I have to change it back to 0.1 to avoid that
> the start up file look like this: http://i39.tinypic.com/2lvg3go.jpg

I agree it may be best to revert this. Most of the depth buffer
precision is at the beginning of the buffer for OpenGL, setting it this
low makes it not very accurate.

But I noticed on Mac OS X we request a 32bit depth buffer, on Windows
too (not sure if we actually get it there, haven't tested). But on Linux
we don't request any particular size, and I get a 24bit buffer. I tried
to change it to request 32bit there, but it fails (NVidia drivers). No
idea why, glxinfo shows it is available.  I don't want to spend too much
time looking at this now, but if anyone wants to figure it out, this is
the line I tried changing, 24 works, 32 not.

intern/ghost/intern/GHOST_WindowX11.cpp
line 180: attributes[i++] = GLX_DEPTH_SIZE; attributes[i++] = 32;

Brecht.