[Bf-taskforce25] RNA-IPO

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 23:00:25 CET 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Roland Hess <me at harkyman.com> wrote:

> Joshua -- I really like this structure you have worked out.
>
> A couple of things that immediately come to mind:
>
> - It would have to be transparent for the casual and existing user. The
> implementation would have to allow them to keep working like they have
> been from a work flow perspective, and add power when they want to dig
> deeper. For people already doing advanced animation work, no one's going
> to complain if the paradigm shifts enough to really smooth things out
> and grant some power.

That's one of the major benefits we should be able to get from eliminating
the IPO/Action mixture by just having a single type. I'm still thinking
through the best ways to present this information as channels in
Dopesheet/F-Curve Editors, but I hope it should be clear enough.

> - As for the f-curve modifiers -- that's a great opportunity. They don't
> just need to be procedural. Picture being able to add another curve with
> only, say five points, as a modifier to a set of mo-capped curves. Pull
> around those five bezier points and have it pull around/affect the "hi
> res" mo-cap curves. That's some serious power. In reality, a curve is
> just a user-defined function of x->y mappings, so it is a still a
> "procedure." The point is that something like this shouldn't be
> constrained -- make it open and artists will take it places you've not
> even considered.

Currently I've got support for an 'envelope' modifier that could do such
things. This could give more flexibility than a simple bezier curve, as
you've got the option of stretching the values vertically in addition to
merely deforming them.

> Also -- with the Action DNA wrapped, what you like me to look at next?
> Timeline RNA? Start porting Action Editor tools to operators?

Action Editor tools are already ported to operators. However, the menu
entries for these are still not yet done :)

Also, the Timeline RNA (i.e. Markers) could get added. However, I think it's
more important to get constraints RNA done first.

Regards,
Joshua